blog

Friday, February 24, 2006

A Labor of Love

Photojournalist Ken Cedeno’s sensitive story about a local cancer survivor was recently honored by the White House News Photographers Association for 2006 in the “Eyes of History” still photography contest. Cedeno won an “Award of Excellence” for his picture story (feature) entitled, “Cancer.”

“I feel wonderful! It’s really nice to know that I was able to get a good story because I was given great access,” said Cedeno. “I feel very pleased about the award.”

Cedeno’s subject and friend, Kathleen Bryan, was diagnosed with breast cancer in May 2002, which led to a mastectomy with breast reconstruction. In 2005, she underwent a second reconstruction due to problems with her saline implant.

With about 20 years in the business, Cedeno said that “photography has always tugged at me...I want to be a part of showing and sharing the news. I’m doing what I feel strongly about.”



Show/Hide ButtonsShow/Hide CaptionsShow/Hide ThumbnailsBackPlay Slide ...Stop Slide Show...Forward


Click on the play button to listen to photographer Ken Cedeno speaking about reporting on Kathleen Bryan's cancer journey.


AUDIO: Kathleen Bryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home